Saturday, December 6, 2014

Argumentative writing

I chose to read the book on argumentative writing instead of the digital writing book. I found this book to be very helpful when it came to giving the reader activities and strategies to better teach students how to write argumentatively. The texts made it a point to state that the elements of an argument include a claim and evidence to support the claim.

I have taken away from this book many ideas on how go get my future students excited about argumentative writing. My absolute favorite activity discussed, was the “Who Done It” activity that is discussed in the first paragraph. In this activity the author puts a picture up on the board and has the students try and decide what is happening. The students must make rules and back up claims with evidence. I thought this was a very good idea, especially for student engagement. 

1 comment:

  1. I think the who done is a great activity that can be replicated and can serve as an engaging opening to teaching the elements of the argument.

    ReplyDelete